Wat Arun Rajwararam (Temple of Dawn)

Originally known as Wat Makok (Olive Temple) and later as Wat Chaeng, the 82m-high prang (Khmer-style tower) was renamed the ‘Temple of Dawn’ by King Rama II after the Indian god of dawn (Arun), and to signify the rise of a new kingdom after Ayutthaya was sacked by the Burmese in 1767.

The original temple dates back to the 16th century, when it was known as Wat Makok. Renovation of the original temple including an increase to the height of the central spire began in the reign of King Rama II during 1809-1824 and completed by King Rama III during the years 1842-1847.


What to do and see at Wat Arun Rajwararam

The exterior of the central prang and four smaller prangs at each corner are decorated in colourful floral mosaics made from broken pieces of Chinese porcelain and seashells – recycled from ballast once used by Chinese trading ships.

The central prang is an architectural representation of Mount Meru, the centre of the world in Buddhist cosmology.

Check out the various figures of ancient Chinese soldiers and animals around the base of the prangs, then climb the steep and narrow central stairway to the first level for views over the Chao Phraya River and across to Wat Po and the Grand Palace.

Along the way, check out the kinaree (or half-humans) and yakshas (or demons) who together support the three levels of the spire. The first terrace contains statues of the Buddha at the most important stages of his life, while four statues of the Hindu god Indra riding the three-headed elephant, Erawan, overlook the second terrace.

Two huge yaksha (or demons) from the Hindu epic Ramayana stand guard outside the Ordination Hall; inside sits the golden Niramir Buddha image believed to have been designed by King Rama II. The ashes of King Rama II are buried in the base of the image. The interior walls feature murals of life during the reign of Rama V.

Along the riverside are six Chinese-style pavilions (sala) made of green granite and containing landing bridges.

Fittingly, the temple is at its best when viewed at sunrise and especially at sunset. There are several restaurants and coffee shops across the river, which make good viewpoints.


Location: Arun Amarin Rd., Thonburi. West bank of the Chao Phraya, opposite Tha Thien Pier.
Getting there: Take a water taxi from Tha Tien Pier (near Wat Po), or cross the Phra Pinklao Bridge and follow the river south on Arun Amarin Rd. Admission: 50B; Hours: Daily 8:30am-5:30pm.


Latest update: Wat Arun Rajwararam (Temple of Dawn): 29 May, 2022



Advertising