Shanghai, China – Image courtesy of thechinamagazine.com
Introducing Shanghai, China
In Shanghai, experience the beauty of Chinese art history at the Shanghai Museum and see Art Deco at its finest in the French Concession.
From its humble origins as a seaside fishing village, Shanghai has emerged today as a vast, vibrant, sophisticated, ever-changing metropolis at the forefront of China’s rapid cultural change.
What to do and see in Shanghai
Shanghai buzzes with energy and is a showcase of both old and contemporary architecture that is best explored on foot. Wander the bustling, winding lanes along The Bund and through Frenchtown to discover the remnants of Shanghai’s decadent colonial past.
Cultural Highlights of Shanghai
– Experience the beauty of Chinese art history at the Shanghai Museum, which features China’s premier collection of relics and cultural artefacts among its 11 galleries.
Discover more than 100,000 artistic treasures including bronze ware, ceramics, calligraphy, jade, Ming and Qing Dynasty furniture, coins and seals, as well as a showcase of handiwork from several of China's 52 minority groups.
– Explore one of Shanghai's largest temples, which features four main halls as well as a seven-storey, eight-sided, wood and brick pagoda. All date back to the Song Dynasty.
– Follow winding walkways past grand pavilions over stone bridges and carp-filled ponds that date back to the Ming Dynasty. The small gardens, laid out in an intricate design with pavilions, rockeries, ponds and a traditional theatre, are the best examples of Chinese classical gardens in Shanghai.
– Join or watch thousands of Shanghai residents in their morning tai chi exercises and greet the first golden rays as they flood across the old colonial facades. Or admire the city’s pre-1949 past on a river cruise down the Huangpu to the mouth of the Yangtze.
– Stroll around one of the most interesting of the colonial districts left standing in Shanghai, filled with the gorgeous villas, mansions and apartment houses of the 1920s and 1930s. Here you can see Art Deco at its best.
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travellers have to say about these hotels in Shangai at TripAdvisor.