|Above photo: Nalaguraidhoo Island, Maldives © Photo courtesy of Sun Island Resort & Spa
Key Facts about the Maldives
– The Indian Ocean, 500km southwest of the southern tip of India
– Republic of Maldives
– 298 sq km
– Republic since 1965; gained independence from the UK in 1965
– Five hours behind east coast Australia; three hours behing west coast Australia; GMT/UTC +5
– Rufiyaa (MVR)
– 110/ 230 volts, 50hz. Three-pin square, three-pin round and two-pin flat blade
– Almost entirely Sunni Muslim
– Dhivehi. English is spoken widely
– Try these Dhivehi phrases: Assalaamu Alaikum – Hello (formal) and
Kihineh – Hello (informal); Haalu kihineh? – How are you?; Shukuriyaa – Thank you;
Aan – Yes; Noon – No; Ran'galhu – Good; Dhanee – Goodbye (informal)
– Tipping is not encouraged in the Maldives however, if the service is good it is usual to tip waiters and room staff in resorts (unless a service charge has already been added).
– Visitors are requested not to offend local sensibilities. Nudity and topless sunbathing is forbidden. Swimwear should be confined to the beach and resorts. When entering a mosque, your legs and body (except for your neck and face) should be covered.
– Hats and sunscreen are a must and sneakers or sandals are advisable for walking and swimming around coral. If you cut yourself on coral pour lemon or lime juice over the wound to relieve the pain, or use hydrogen peroxide.
|Latest update on this honeymoon destination:
17 February, 2017