Noon Gate at The Citadel, Hue – Image courtesy of Luru Ly/Wikimedia Commons
Introducing the Noon Gate, Citadel, Hue
Walk in the footsteps of emperors through the main entrance to the city, which was built in 1833 by Minh Mang and known in Vietnamee as Cua Ngo Mon.
The central walkway with its yellow doors, and the connecting bridge across the lotus pond, were reserved exclusively for the emperor.
Two slightly smaller side entrances were reserved for mandarins, soldiers and horses, while two small arched entrances on the outside were used for everyone else.
Climb up to the second floor for a pleasant view of the exquisite courtyard. From the main hall at the top of this gate (known as Ngu Phung), the Emperor would address his officials and the people; and, most memorably, the announcement of the abdication of the last emperor, Bao Dai, on August 25, 1945, to Ho Chi Minh’s Provisional Revolutionary Government.
The upper level consists of a grand pavilion, called the Five-Phoenix Pavilion (Lau Ngu Phung). The roof is covered in yellow, glazed ceramic roof tiles detailed with etchings of various animals and creatures to ward off evil.
The structure was slightly damaged by war but is now fully restored.
Location: Northern side of the Perfume River, Hue
Hours: Daily 7am - 5:30pm